Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Ever Notice.....

Sadie’s run today was fun, did a little over 7 miles again.  (http://www.livestrong.com/loops/north_salt_lake_tried_something_new-skas5RVSt1/)
I use to run solely on my treadmill, which I still enjoy but I have to say I like the street running better now. For one, it's not "given" how fast I'm going or how far I've gone, the fresh air is nice, plus I can't just stop because I feel like it--Somehow I have to get back home, so why not keep running?

The other nice thing is Sadie loves it and needs it just as much as i do! She was leading me the whole way; well first six miles at least, only time the leash gets any lag in it is when we come up on people. I still think it's weird to come across them, doesn't seem to matter if we're going the same direction or opposite directions.

It's weird for me because, well I'm a bit of jerk. I judge people WAY to much and always use to think I shouldn't street run because, well I'm fat. VERY fat, morbidly obese fat (so says my BMI) and for some reason I always pictured a whale running down the street and people looking to see where the ice cream truck was.

I know it's bad to judge people but I have always done it--kind of like Sabrina on last night’s "Raising Hope" (awesome show BTW). See, she grew up always feeling that everyone was judging her, so she constantly compared herself to them to see what she was/who she was better than, and mocked them if she couldn't be better. She finally sees the light though when Jimmy points out that there will always be someone better than her, but she'll also always be better than someone else. Cheesy yes, but the episode was very funny.

Anyway, I stressed so much about what others would think when they saw me running that I didn't do street running for a long time--instead running in the dark of my basement, pounding a treadmill for four plus years of running.

Funny thing is, I know what I at least think as I pass people, and it has nothing to do with them. Rather, I'm thinking stuff like, which side is Sadie on? Those are cute kids. Does the guy in the car see us? There are a lot of cute moms out this morning. Is that dog on a leash? Why is that crazy guy roller blading with Ski poles?  Ok, so I'm still judging, but the point is mostly I'm thinking about my run, not about what they are thinking about me or even paying them a lot of attention and I'm sure it's the same for them--paying more attention to their kids, their car, or whatever then they do me.

Not that I'm a 100% sure of that yet--otherwise I don't think I'd still be spending five minutes each morning looking for the biggest t shirt I can find, but at least I'm sure enough of it now get out the door with only an XL instead of the XXL I really wanted to hide in.

No comments:

Post a Comment